eCQM Value Set Update for 2019 Reporting and Performance Periods Published
September 2018 ~
CMS and the National Library of Medicine (NLM) has published the most recent updates to the electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) value sets in an effort to better align with the most recent releases to terminologies, such as ICD-10 Clinical Modification (CM) and Procedure Coding System (PCS), SNOMED CT, LOINC, and RxNorm.
According to CMS, these recent updates will impact the electronic reporting of eCQMs for the following programs:
- Quality Payment Program: Merit-based Incentive Payment System and Advanced Alternative Payment Models
- Comprehensive Primary Care Plus
- Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting
- Medicare and Medicaid Promoting Interoperability Programs
Changes only affect the value sets for eCQMs. The Health Quality Measure Format (HQMF) specifications, the value set object identifiers (OIDs), and the measure version numbers for 2019 eCQM reporting will not change.
The changes to the value sets consist of:
- the deletion of expired codes,
- the addition of relevant replacement codes, and
- the addition of newly available codes that represent concepts consistent with the intent of the value set and corresponding measure(s).
The changes listed above, as well as previous updates, are available to download from the NLM Value Set Authority Center. NOTE: All value sets are available as a complete set, as well as value sets per measure.
For more information, providers should refer to CMS’ eCQM Value Set Addendum for the 2019 Reporting/Performance Period for Eligible Clinician, Eligible Professional, and Hospital Quality Reporting Programs FAQs (pdf);
For updated measure information, including revised technical release notes, visit the eCQI Resource Center;
And to report any questions on the addendum, value sets, and mapping, use the ONC eCQM Issue Tracker.
Source(s): MLN Connects for September 20, 2018; eCQI Resource Center;